7-11 February 2011 –SOCIAL MEDIA WEEK
PANEL ON HATE SPEECH AT SOCIAL MEDIA
DATE: 8 FEBRUARY 2011 TIME: 15:00-16:30 PLACE: GALATASARAY UNIVERSITY COMMUNICATION FACULTY Çırağan cad. Beşiktaş İstanbul
Why hate speech at new media is important? And Why should gain awareness about this subject? What can NGOs do?
At the new media environment, homophobic, transphobic, heterosexist, xenophobic, racist, ethnic nationalist and political-discriminatory hate speech which is produced by discursive practices of everyday life and inserted into the texts of traditional, can become widespread, ordinary easily and enter to the media circulation. Thus, any discriminatory and exclusionary discursive practices are being adopted; over time, these practices marginalize existence of different identities and practices in society, or even destructive actions, in other words, they can transform into hate crimes. Hate speech becoming natural, ordinary and common because of some of the features and facilities owned by the new media environment. Therefore, at this panel, the types of hate speech and several examples and methods of struggle against it and struggle methods developed by NGOs will be discussed.
- Hate-Discourse Relation and Hate Speech at New Media –Mutlu Binark (Professor, Başkent University, Faculty of Communication)
- Features of Social Media and to show how hate speech becomes widespread at social media Eser Aygül, MA Student, Gazi University İnstitute of Social Sciences, Tuğrul Çomu, MA Student, Ankara University Institute of Social Sciences
- Struggle Forms Against Hate Discourse at Social Media – Günseli Bayraktutan-Sütcü, Ph.D. Lecturer, Başkent University, Faculty of Communication
- Study of Youth for Habitat, A member from Youth for Habitat
- Study of Alternative Information Society, Ali Rıza Keleş
E mail: email@example.com
Tel: 0555 305 1126